In Crescent City, Florida, 4 individuals were killed and 133 were injured when 14 out of 16 passenger cars of an Amtrak Auto Train derailed. This resulted in over 8 million dollars in damages. The National Transportation Safety Board determined that track misalignment caused the accident. Although trains are generally safe, accidents do occur. The South Florida train/railroad accident attorneys at DRG Firm are here to assist you if you have been involved in rail accident.
According to the Federal Railroad Administration, in the past ten years there have been 31,847 railroad accidents/incidents in the U.S.A. resulting in 1,742 fatalities. In Florida there have been approximately 799 accidents/incidents during the same time period. They resulted in 107 fatalities, and 492 nonfatal conditions in the state. These statistics show that dangerous occurrences on trains are not uncommon in the U.S.A. If you or a loved one has been injured in a train accident, our Broward County attorneys can consult with you.
Train accidents may fall into various categories:
- Railroad Crossing. These accidents happen at a railroad crossing between an individual and a train. Railroad crossing accidents occur about every 90 minutes in the U.S.A. Many of these accidents take place because a high number of these crossings lack proper safety lights and gates. A fair amount of railroad crossing accidents involve children under the age of 16.
- Accidents between Trains and Cars. Most of these are caused when a driver negligently tries to cross a rail. Most of these accidents are caused when a driver negligently tries to cross a track.
- Conductor Negligence. These accidents often occur because a conductor is fatigued or inattentive. Other causes include substance abuse, speeding, and poor training.
- Train / Metro Derailment. These types of accidents occur when a train somehow gets off the tracks. Train and metro derailments can cause death or injury to passengers, employees, and bystanders.
- Train Collisions. Train collisions can be caused by conductor negligence, mechanical failure, defective railroad tracks, and human error.
Train accidents can be extremely destructive due to the tremendous size and ultimately inertia of the vehicles involved. Railroad companies will do everything possible to deny any liability. DRG Firm is available any time of day or night to consult with you. Acting quickly is essential to provide you with the best representation possible. Evidence needs to be preserved, and interviews need to be taken while memories are fresh. That is why it is vital to consult our Palm Beach train accident attorneys if you or a loved one has been involved in a railroad accident.
Railroad companies can be held responsible for property damage, medical bills, and pain and suffering. If you have been injured, our Miami-Dade railroad accident attorneys will work diligently to determine the liability of the company involved. Please call DRG Firm for a free consultation if you have been involved in a South Florida train accident of any kind. An attorney is available 24/7 to assist you at 1888.413.8353.